- Career-Oriented – Online courses designed to help you to upskill and reskill.
- Flexible Online Learning – 100% online self-paced learning enables you to advance your knowledge and skills while balancing work and family commitments.
- Continuing Education – Opportunity to meet your education needs.
Request a Coupon Code.
What Our Students are Saying…
“Solid information that is very much a foundation working with families in funeral service.”
—KATIE JOHNSON, MORRIS-BAKER FUNERAL HOME
“I feel more confident on the phone in just the past month after taking this course. This course has provided me with information that I can incorporate into my phone call etiquette.”
—RACHEL DURBECK, MEMORIAL FUNERAL HOMES, INC.
Why The Institute?
- Refresh Your Skills – Build your professional skillset. Develop and deepen skills you can immediately apply in your organization.
- Shift to a New Professional Path – Expand your opportunities. Gain knowledge, tools, and credentials you’ll need to take the next step.
- Fulfill Licensure Requirements – Our courses may help you meet your continuing education, professional development, certification, or licensure needs.
- Stay Connected – Connect with professionals from all over the country. Take this opportunity to train your entire staff in best practices of funeral service offered by the best practitioners in the profession.
- Choose Your Program – Find the most relevant program without having to relocate. Select the course that meets your educational needs or the needs of your staff members.
- Experience the Benefits of Online Learning – Looking to move forward with online learning? Register now! Seating is limited. These gold-medal-standard courses fill up quickly; don’t miss out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is professional development important?
Professional Development offerings are non-degree, non-credit courses. They are intended for learners who want to gain general knowledge, learn a new skill, upgrade existing skills, or enrich their understanding about a wide range of topics.
What are the advantages of taking courses online?
Convenience and flexibility are the most common advantages of online classes. Students join our online courses for a variety of reasons and come from diverse backgrounds, professions, and age groups. With online courses, you can enhance your skill set or begin a career change.
Who should take our online courses?
Whether you are new to the profession or a seasoned professional who wants to sharpen your skills, these courses are for you.
- Courses in the Service Excellence series were developed with the newer funeral director in mind, anyone who has recently graduated from mortuary science within the last three years.
- Courses in the Financial Management series were developed with funeral home owners, location managers, and those making financial decisions for the firm in mind.
- Courses in the Customer Management series were developed for any funeral professional at any level looking to sharpen and expand their skillset.
Registration Process and
How do I register?
Registration is simple!
1. Navigate to the Institute store.
2. Browse the list of upcoming courses, then Add the desired course(s) to your cart.
3. Confirm the course(s) in your shopping cart, then click Next Step: Checkout.
4. Click Next Step: Payment.
You will be asked for basic contact information and your credit card payment. We require full payment at the time of registration. All fees are billed in US Dollars.
When should I register?
Most courses are offered twice during the year. Certain courses can fill up quickly, so be sure to register early.
What is the registration rate for Institute courses and what does it include?
Registration includes access to all available content for five weeks plus unlimited contact with the instructor. Courses in the Service Excellence series also include a 24-page print course manual mailed to students in advance of the course, and optional weekly live sessions to interact with fellow students and the instructor in real time.
Registration rates are as follows.
- Customer Management courses: $245 and $145 for Selected members
- Financial Management courses: $345 and $245 for Selected members
- Service Excellence courses: $345 and $245 for Selected members
How do I know if I’m eligible for the Selected member rate and how do I register at that rate?
If you are an employee of a firm that is a member of Selected Independent Funeral Homes, then you are eligible for the Selected member rate. Before registering, email email@example.com or call 888-708-7878 to confirm eligibility or request a coupon code. Then enter that coupon code at checkout.
Are there group discounts?
When an individual signs up for 5+ courses at one time they will receive $20 off each registration. The registrations would be paid for at one time. It can be any combination of people, courses, or registration amounts. Before registering, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a coupon code. Then enter that coupon code at checkout.
Can I get a refund if I am unable to attend my online course?
In order to request a refund, you must send an email to email@example.com. Please note we are unable to reimburse for any currency conversion or additional fees charged by your credit card issuer.
I am registered. Now what?
You will receive a confirmation email with information on when and how you can access your course.
How It Works
What is the format of an Institute course?
Each course contains four units. A student can complete the course at their own pace, but we recommend completing one unit each week. The course will have an introduction, four unit notes, four unit presentations, four unit quizzes, and a final test. The course must be consumed in sequence as one unit will build upon another.
Can I take any available course at any time?
Courses are offered during four sessions per year, beginning on the first Monday of the corresponding month, and closing five weeks later. Check the calendar to view the courses scheduled to run during each session. The sessions and their starting months are:
• Winter – February
• Spring – April
• Summer – June
• Fall – September
How do I access my course?
You will have access to the online course on the day the course begins. The first modules of the classroom will provide you with tools for successful online learning and tips for navigating the classroom.
How long is my course?
We currently offer 4-week courses. Check the course dates listed online prior to registration. For a 4-week course, you can expect to spend approximately 2 hours a week reviewing and completing the course material.
What if I have technical difficulties?
For technical support, please email Institute@SelectedTrust.org. We are ready to help and will assist you within 24 hours of receiving your request.
Are there specific login or online participation times?
Generally, you may complete the course entirely at your own pace. However, some courses may include optional conference calls or Zoom calls. Students should expect weekly due dates for assignments that require them to participate in the online course throughout the week.
Do I need specific equipment to take online courses?
You should have an up-to-date web browser such as Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, or Firefox. Our online courses can be accessed on a mobile or tablet device, although we strongly encourage you to have access to a desktop or laptop computer and a reliable internet connection for certain course components.
To help ensure your success as a learner, you should be proficient in using common desktop productivity software. We are here to provide help.
Will Institute courses satisfy the continuing education requirements for my state?
The Institute applies for 8.0 hours per course of continuing education credit to the Academy of Professional Funeral Service Practice (APFSP) and all states requiring CE. Review Continuing Education Approvals to check the status of your state.
I completed my course! Now what?
When you successfully complete an online course, you are eligible to receive a digital certificate of completion. Please review your instructor’s syllabus to understand the completion requirements for your course. These requirements will include successful completion of each Unit (weekly) quiz and the final course quiz.
Certificates of completion are delivered to the email associated with your Institute user account. If you do not receive your certificate(s) within 3 weeks of course completion, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who should I contact if I have additional questions?
Email Stefanie Favia, Senior Director of Development with the Selected Educational Trust, or call 888-708-7878.
Are You the Next Institute Instructor?
Do you have skills or concepts to share that will help funeral home professionals? We are seeking instructors who have an expertise in their field, love the subject, and have the ability to share information.
The Institute for Exceptional Funeral Service will assist you in many ways. An instructional coach will be your guide in developing materials for our format. Online workshops, timelines, sample resources, and other items will simplify your development process. Our goal is to let you focus on the development and the delivery of your course. We take care of all the behind-the-scenes details. Our online courses last a month and consist of four weekly units. Courses are offered one to four times per year.
We take great pride in offering courses where education meets excellence. Watch Be an Instructor: 7 Things You Want to Know, or read this flyer to learn more. Questions? Email Stefanie Favia or call 847-236-0150.